Friday, June 1, 2012

June Challenge: Bowls and Vessels

Scroll to the bottom of the post to vote for your favorites!

About the Challenge: 
Our artist-members celebrated the functional side of polymer art this month with the theme "Bowls and Vessels." Some created 100% polymer containers and others chose to cover existing ones.

Vote at the bottom of the page and you might win!
Vote between June 1-7 and you could win. Three lucky winners will be selected in a drawing of all non-member voters and will be able to choose a prize offered by our member shops sponsoring this month's challenge. See the list of participating sponsors and prizes.  

And the entries are:

TO VOTE: scroll to bottom of post.

1. Olive Gauze Bowl No. 126 by Susan of 11BOLDstreet
Bowl from gauze soaked in liquid polymer, with solid polymer clay accents and feet. 8" diameter x 4" high.

2. Inro by Jill of jkollmann
This is my first ever inro, created for the PCAGOE vessels challenge. I enjoyed applying Julie Picarello's approach to layering, texturing and slicing to create the clay sheet from which this is made. It's 100% clay, not a covered base of some sort. The lid is perfect fit - whew!

3. Black & Silver Bowl by Freda of FredaK 
One day I was making something with black clay and silver leaf and had quite a bit left over. I decided to try and make a bowl with the leftovers and this bowl is what I made. I realized it would be perfect for this month's challenge.

4. Button Basket by Lisa of HiGirls
I've always been fascinated by a bowl made of buttons that I saw in a shop somewhere, and since I love making buttons in polymer clay, I thought I'd give it a try. The buttons are three tones of semi-transluscent clay textured and buffed. The bottom is one large piece and the entire thing has been sewn together with wire. Measures 2 inches tall by 2 1/4 diameter.

5. Colorful Rainbow Paisley Mosaic Bowl by Angela of polymerclaycreations
I used every color in the rainbow to create this. Each side has a paisley pattern mosaic done in a different color scheme. Set into a swirled patterned white clay. The inside was finished off with marbled swirled stamped clay to match each paisley mosaic. The top opening measures 5 inches square and it is 2 3/4 inches tall.  Please check out my photostream for photos of all sides. It is impossible to get every side in one photo. www.flickr.com/photos/polymer_clay_creations/
This bowl was created as part of a series I have yet to complete. The top of this bowl features black clay with a spiral design done completely in glass bugle beads. The bottom of the bowl features another spiral design done this time with rubber stamps and mica powders. It measures about 7 1/4" in diameter.

7. 'Keep on Trunkin'? by Peg of Peggers
OK I loved creating this vase but could not come up with a title. My hubby gave it the title and I couldn't stop laughing...so it is what it is! I love creating trees of all kinds and this one is special too. This tree is missing his entire body except his trunk and a few vines that I created as arms. The tree is alive even though he lost half of him self.


8. Sweet Petite Tea Pot by Berit of ClayImages
I fell in love with this tiny tea pot at a flea market. It is just 4 inches high. I had fun decorating it with my newest spiral canes. The surface is really smooth and nicely finished. I think it is as pretty as it is functional! Sorry, it is not for sale. :)

9. Flower Bowl by Becky of BeckySueCreations
This is the first bowl I have made for a challenge. Multiple layers of clay were layered together and formed on a small bowl to create the shape. Ghost flowers were then added to the interior. This bowl is 1 1/2 inches high by 2 1/4 inches wide. Perfect for holding your rings or earrings without getting them lost.

The meaning of the word vessel is an instrument meant for holding and it occurred to me that the earth holds all of us. She is the primary place that everything else comes from.  The bottle was inspired by Artdoll"s Magazine spread on a contest of Bottle Dolls. I've been experimenting with liquid clay and doing faux stained glass. This "doll" directed me when I was making her, I had an other idea in mind but she turned out to be right, I love her just like this

11. Bright Idea Vase or Pen Holder by Beth of of CreateMyWorld 
I used a burnt out incandescent light bulb that I gutted and covered with extruded polymer clay, and set in a polymer clay base to secure it at an unusual angle. It also has silver micro-beads embedded in the clay for an extra sparkle. It could be used as a vase or a pen holder.

12. Frolicking Pisces Bowl by Marie of YoungCreative
One empty martini glass + some polymer clay = a cute jewelry bowl. I used the martini glass as a mold for the bowl and hand sculpted the fish base. Alcohol inks and mica powders add some color.


13. Mystic Potion Bottle by Janice of BlessedBeadJewelry
If you found this little bottle nestled against the ivy, would you pick it up? It looks magical but cheerful and benign, but who knows? Small repurposed glass bottle with round threaded cap embellished with a variagated pink and purple and black sutton slice abstract leaf design mounted and embedded on layers of translucent Premo embedded with crazed metal leaf.

14. Stairway by Claymation3d by Linda of Claymation3d
My vessel project began with recycling a green glass vase. I worked translucent polymer clay mixed with gold foil leafing over top of the vase. I embossed the polymer using a stamp to give it a pebble texture all over. For coloring I used alcohol inks. The spiral stairway is created from vintage glass cabochons. The stairway leads to a sculpture of a feminine form tree. She arches out from the vase and beads cascade down from the branches. Her root system clings to the inside and outside of top edge of the vase. All branches are reinforced with Wireform brass rod for strength. Many types of gemstone beads and my own handmade beads are suspended from the branches. The piece is 14” H at the tallest branch.

15. Petal Vase by Cindy of ArrowdaleArtStudio
The vase was born of a squidging session with a lump of scrap clay that became something kind of fun and pleasing and so I began to cover it with one of my (then) most recent canes. It's about three inches tall about about 2.5 inches across the face of the vase. The hole is just large enough to hold a small bouquet of silk flowers but I enjoy it just on its own.

16. Polymer Clay Ring Bowl by Kelly of KellyPlaysClay
This polymer clay vessel is meant to hold rings or other small jewelry. It is cute idea for a little girl's room to help keep things organized.

17. Abstract Watercolor Bowl by Arlene of Ashpaints
This bowl is completely made from polymer clay, alcohol inks and gold leaf using an alcohol ink mokume gane technique. The shallow bowl has a beautiful rich blend of colors ranging from a vibrant peachy orange to a soft sage green. I color blended clay to match the peachy orange for the outside of the bowl and added ball feet for a touch of whimsey.

18. Passion Flame Salt & Pepper with Butterflies & Pansies by Deb of RenGalSA
These beautiful salt & pepper shakers are made from slices of my Passion Flame Pansy and Passion Flame Butterfly canes. They are in very feminine shades of red, maroon, and pink. The shakers are 2" high and the base is 1 1/4" square. They are make out of a mixture of different colored polymer clays including premo, fimo, and kato.

19. Textured Clay Pinch Pot by Marcia of MarciaPalmer
This polymer clay pinch pot stands about 6" tall (top to bottom). The texture, color, and design elements give this simple vessel it's own unique look.

Vote Here


Choose your top 3 favorites. The same entry may not be counted more than once. Voting is open to the public the 1-7. Read the expanded rules here.

 

Full Name (required for voter prize notification):
Email Address (Required for voter prize notification):
For current Dues-Paying PCAGOE Members: What is Your Etsy Shop Name?
Please select your 1st choice: (2nd & 3rd choice must be different from your 1st.)
Please select your 2nd choice: (2nd choice must be different from your 1st and 3rd.)
Please select your 3rd choice: (3rd choice must be different from your 1st and 2nd.)
How did you hear about the PCAGOE challenge?
Would you like to receive the monthly PCAGOE e-newsletter? NOTE: if you do not receive your issue, check your spam filter. If is isn't there e-mail pcagoe@gmail.com yes
no
I already receive it
Our members love comments! Please comment here on the entries and/or the challenge in general.






This online form was provided by Freedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment