Saturday, May 31, 2014

June Challenge Art Deco-Art Nouveau

About the challenge: 
For June our members a stylistic theme: Art Deco/Art Nouveau. They could create anything inspired by the theme as long as the visible part of the entries contained 50% polymer clay.



Vote for your favorites. Three lucky voters will be chosen in a drawing to win a gift certificate from one of our sponsor shops.

To see larger images visit:

1. Nouveau Tile Teapot by Lisa of HiGirls
I was inspired by examples of beautiful Art Nouveau tiles. Created using a faux ceramic technique, this project required multiple firings to achieve the look. Take a look at the details here: www.flickr.com/photos/39493796@N08/ I wish one picture could show every side! 

2. Cranberry Art Deco Brooch No. 131 by Susan of 11BOLDstreet
Using a palette of three packs of polymer on close-out sale, this brooch was inspired by the curves and symmetry common in the Art Deco style. Accents of silver plated wire and UV resin domes on the round inlays are the finishing touches. 2 1/2" diameter.

3. Decorative Art Deco Olive Oil Bottle by Brenda of BeeJWilson
My goal in each piece I create is to re-use an item that would ordinarily end up in the trash. This Decorative Art Deco Olive Oil Bottle was in fact born of an olive oil bottle. The original pour insert was saved and replaced after the bottle was decorated with tones of gold polymer clay. I toned down the gold clay with chocolate, then each of the lighter colors were lightened with pearl and translucent clay. 


4. Art Deco Stained Glass Mandala Sun Catcher by Angela of polymerclaycreations
This is two repurposed, upcycled computer discs that I gave new life to by making them into a sun catcher. First I cut the two discs so that they would interlock together. Then I drew an Art Deco mandala design on them. Then I extruded silver polymer clay to make the "solder" lines. Next I filled in the spaces with liquid polymer clay that I had tinted with oil paints, alcohol inks and mica powders. After curing them I drilled holes to attach wire and strung some lamp work glass beads.
One of the hardest parts was getting a good photo ;), lol. Check out more photos of it here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/polymer_clay_creations/14240151695/in/photostream/

5. Art Deco Stained Polymer Clay Box by Betsy of PolyClayCafe
Being an Art Deco junkie I was really excited about PCAGOE's challenge this month with the theme of Art Deco/Art Nouveau. Since I started working with translucent clay dyed with alcohol inks I had a vision for a faux stained glass box for this challenge. The box is approximately 4" square and 2" high. Read about the process on my blog at http://polyclaycafe.blogspot.com/2014/05/pcagoe-june-challenge-piece-art-deco.html

6. Art Deco Siamese Cigarette Girl by Marie Young of YoungCreative
My Siamese cat, Emily, with her sleek black-gloved paws, reminds me of a slinky "cigarette girl" from the 1930s. I decided to sculpt this anthropomorphic cat art doll based on that crazy picture in my head. Meet my model and see how it came together: http://marieyoungcreative.com/art-deco-cigarette-girl/
 
7. Two Margarita Glasses by Berit of ClayImages
This is my entry for the PCAGOE June challenge, Art Nouveau and Art Deco. I embellished the glasses with extruded clay and Mokume Gane sheets. They are fun to use!

8. Art Deco Treasure Box by Arlene of Ashpaints
 Since a recent workshop with Laurie Mika, mosaic artist extraordinaire, I've been inspired to create more of these mini works of art.  I call these my Treasure Boxes because they are just the right size to keep little treasures in.  This treasure box reflects the Art Deco period with the straight lines and shapes you see in the textures and in the "crystal" at the top. 

9. Deco Cuff by Jill of JKollmann
Art Deco is the theme for this month's challenge. I made a cane based on an art deco stained glass window.

10. Art Deco Decanter by Beth of CreateMyWorldDesigns
Glass whiskey bottle that was decked out in Art Deco themed polymer. This is a huge bottle measuring in at 16" tall (with stopper). To read more about how this piece was created and to see more views, please go to my blog post here: http://createmyworlddesigns.blogspot.com/2014/05/art-deco-dreams.html

11.
Art Deco Clock by Mary of MaryClaires 
This is a copy of a Japanese art deco clock, but in more color and texture. To see more go to maryclaires.indiemade.com/blog

12. Art Deco Black and White Bowl by Line of PlaySculptLive
Read about my entry here:
http://playsculptlive.blogspot.ca/2014/05/a-lesson-in-art-deco.html




Read the expanded rules here.

Full Name (required for voter prize notification):
Email Address (Required for voter prize notification, you will not be sent other e-mails unless you sign up for our e-mail list):
For current Dues-Paying PCAGOE Members: What is Your Etsy Shop Name?
Please select your 1st choice: (2nd & 3rd choice must be different from your 1st.)
Please select your 2nd choice: (2nd choice must be different from your 1st and 3rd.)
Please select your 3rd choice: (3rd choice must be different from your 1st and 2nd.)
How did you hear about the PCAGOE challenge?
Would you like to join our email list? (former Newsletter subscribers already included!) monthly reminder to VOTE in our Challenges, along with important Guild announcements. Please add pcagoe@gmail.com and pcagoe.news@gmail.com to your approved senders. I already signed up
yes
no
Our members love comments! Please comment here on the entries and/or the challenge in general.

Click here to create your own form.

No comments:

Post a Comment